Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I am a Christian, people should like to be around me.

So, here in France a lot  of the people I come in contact throughout my days are not in a relationship with Jesus. It has been a change from OK/AR/TX culture that I have grown up in, stretching, but only confirming my faith and trust in God.

Its crazy how people are different but really the same at the heart of it all. People are hurting, lonely, and scared. Depressing, but true- it has been this way since the Fall. I don't know how people without Jesus make it sometimes, life can be so hard. And when I hear my friends who don't trust in God say things like " yoga says everything will pass" or " I just have to be strong" I want to cry, I really do. I don't know how that could possibly ease the pain or satisfy their obvious search for deeper meaning; I don't think it does.

Which brings me to the point of this post: as a Christian, I have the source of  love, joy, and peace as my Savior and friend. I should act like it. Seems simple, but I don't think we really get it right all the time. Right now at French school, there are lots of people here from around the world, many not believers. There is a great temptation for me not to invest my time or energy into getting to know them or developing relationships- I know we won't know each other long, and will probably never see each other again. Plus, I am here to learn French, not hang out with other people who make the same mistakes in French that I make.

But, then I remember a magnet my friend has on his fridge in Inola, OK, it says "Bloom Where You Are Planted" and it has a smiling flower on it. I am learning French so I can go tell people about Jesus in Africa, so I am too busy to tell people about Jesus here? Something isn't right with that picture.

So, I try to show that unselfish, irresistible love that Jesus showed me to those around me. I find out what their passions are, their hopes, their fears, and troubles- and we talk about them. If I am brave I pray with them. If the Spirit leads I talk about my experiences with Jesus. It isn't rocket science; its much more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment