Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Eat your McDonalds, and don't forget your vitamins!

disclaimer- all views are strictly based on my experience only

Ok, if you are expecting a lesson on French cuisine, I am sorry to disappoint. I love love love the bread, cheese, and pastries France feeds me. But if you were to ask me to give a short concise answer on what is French cuisine, I still can't do it! Google it, I am sure there are many French people who would love to let you know! But I will tell you what I have gleaned and observed here concerning food.

In general, the French have a very fixed schedule when it comes to eating- a light breakfast, nothing too substantial, but chocolate can be a part of this meal (yes!) Lunch is the big meal of the day, traditionally- workers generally get at least an hour for lunch. Fixing your lunch at home and bringing it to work/school is the norm. Then at 4:00, there is the gouter (snack) for school kids and possibly adults as well. And then dinner around eight or nine o'clock, which is generally lighter than lunch-pasta or soup are common.

The French eat more veggies than most Americans, I am pretty sure that is safe to say. And while the frozen food phenomenon is on the rise here, it is still much less prevalent than the U.S., same thing with fast food restaurants.

Something that has really impressed me is the fact that pasta with butter and maybe some cheese can be considered a complete meal. I am not talking about some woman on a diet, I mean that is a common dinner, from what I have seen. I feel like I have been used to being served/cooking too much food in comparison.

One of our French teachers told us two common stereotypes the French have of  Americans is 1. They all eat Mickey D's often, and 2. they take lots of vitamins. What do you think? I couldn't disagree, I mean personally I don't take vitamins, but when I am in the states, the dollar menu is hard to pass up! We will see when I go home next month how I handle fast food, I am not ready to commit to any swearing off yet, but I know that would be ideal for my body.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment