Sunday, August 25, 2013

Ever since I was little I have loved "keeping in touch." After summer camp I pen-palled with friends 'til they dropped the ball. I had years of exchanging letters with several friends, through middle and part of high school. That is just part of who I am, I love staying in contact and feeling connected. As I have grown up, I have seen how this become harder and harder as life happens. And, apparently, boys don't share  this need to keep updated on their friends' lives. Weird.
    As a missionary living in Africa, you can see how this can be problematic. One of my concerns is coming home on home assignment and not really knowing how to make conversation with friends and family. I'll feel like a dork for not knowing any real details about their lives for the last year or two. "Oh, you moved for your job..what's your job again?" "Oh, you guys broke up? Ten months ago? Ohh.." These are the dialogues I would like to avoid. 
   So i have tried the whole "email me and let me know how you are doing" line in newsletters, and for the precious few who have responded, you really are precious! You have helped me feel connected even on days when I feel completely disconnected and far away. Also, hearing about your problems in America helps me remember that we will have problems wherever we go until we get to Heaven, so my African problems are no bigger than yours!
    This post wasn't meant as a guilt trip for those of you who have not emailed me...but if you are feeling guilty the best way to assuage said guilt is to drop me a line or two about life lately in your neck of the woods!

No comments:

Post a Comment