Saturday, March 1, 2014

Dry Season vs. Rainy Season




In an effort to give you a picture of our two seasons, I have listed pro and cons of each from my experience thus far:

Dry season pros: dry roads (this one is huge), clothes dry super fast on the line, cooler temps(though for our friends here this would not be a pro!)

Dry season cons: dust everywhere, all the time-choose to dust and sweep everyday or just give up on having a clean house (the choice was not a hard one for us.) Chapped lips, cracked heels, dry eyes, more respiratory infections

Rainy season pros: farming friends fields’ get growin! Rainwater collects in barrels at side of house, so easy access for laundry-less hauling, rainy afternoons where all I can do is stay in and read, falling asleep to the sound of rain on our tin roof

Rainy season cons: in our location we basically don’t drive on the roads around us if we can help it during rainy season, sores on legs stay infected longer because they are never dry (neighbors’ not mine), a faint but ever present smell of mildew and mold in the house, drying clothes becomes more of a challenge.

In America I wished for summer in winter and winter in summer- here I have the same tendency. I remember all the good things about rainy season during dry season and forget the bad; and vice versa in rainy season. However, I must tell you, Beyla was voted  ‘Guinea’s city with the best climate’ by this old guide book I read. And I would have to agree, to the north of us is dry dry dry, and I almost melt when we go to the capital in April. So, I am always happy to come home after traveling!

No comments:

Post a Comment