Saturday, March 1, 2014

On the Jesus film




It is about 7:30 as we arrive in the dark yard. Everyone is finishing their dinner as we set up my computer and the video. As they see the light, they come out. Earlier in the day my friend in the yard had asked why we hadn’t shown the Isa film in their yard. “Do you think people would come?” I ask. “Lots of people will come!” She says enthusiastically. And she’s right, there’s between 20 and 30 people huddled around my laptop under the big mango tree tonight.

They didn’t come because they want to convert to Christianity or even necessarily because they are super curious about the life of Jesus. They would come out to watch any movie that was showing for free. I don’t want you to have the wrong idea. But- this movie is special, this movie isn’t in French or English where they depend heavily on the action to understand the plot. This movie is in their heart language. They understand every nuance (linguistically anyway) in the telling of this Good News. 

They nod in recognition as they watch Adama and Hawa in the garden, and the almost-sacrifice of Ibrahim’s son. They laugh in amazement/bemusement when the boy Jesus asks his parents why they were confused by his being in the temple. At least one person reacts in a way that communicates “this is a totally backward and weird but interesting” when Jesus says to turn the other cheek when you are hit. My favorite reaction is that of the old men chuckling admiringly at Jesus’ responses to religious leaders (give to Caesar what is Caesar’s, is my teaching from God or man? etc.) They say, “Jesus can answer well! They say “ka?!” that’s like “what?!” as they are beating and crucifying Jesus. They have the same reaction when Jesus turns up again amongst his followers three days later. 

 To me these stories are as familiar as the back of my hand, but this is fresh news to them. I wish all cradle Christians could have this chance to watch and listen to the reaction of someone who has never heard the story of Jesus hear and see it in their mother tongue. I guess you will just have to take my word for it that it is a wonderful experience!

1 comment:

  1. Wow... how beautiful... that is really amazing... I don't know that I have every truly experienced someone learning the story of the Gospel for the very first time... There has always been some idea of who God is or at least familiarity with Bible stories and whatnot...

    ReplyDelete