Sunday, October 14, 2012

First Impressions


First impressions, it is probably too early to be writing this- but I have a free evening and internet, so viola! I am still going through jet lag, but  I wanted to record what I have experienced so far here.  The trip: it was such a blessing to have traveled with the Brolliers, it made the trip so much less stressful! The Conekry airport was probably the low point for me, and it wasn’t even that low, I was just so tired and it was super hot.The only things I lost were handles off my trunks that must have broken off two of my trunks: not bad at all!
The drive to the guesthouse was quite the introduction to the city, it was about seven and dark out, and that portion of the city didn’t have power (they go by sections and generally you have power in the morning or afternoon, and then alternate the next day) so the only lights are outdoor lights or flashlights and headlights, but it was cool out since the sun went down, so everybody was outside, just hanging out, or crowded around a TV watching a soccer game, or taking advantage of the stopped up traffic, selling apples or something car to car. On the twenty minute or so drive from the guesthouse I asked Pete all manner of questions about the city; the answer to which I probably won’t remember as I was fairly beat!
We were welcomed by all the wonderful PBT colleagues with a dinner, and showers and our rooms. The guesthouse is kind of like a little piece of America in the middle of the city. It has kind of a big family feel as missionaries come and their kids all play together and there is a common kitchen and common living room. 
Today we unpacked, and another PBT family hosted us for lunch, a heavy afternoon storm rolled in and we watched it from the porch, it was amazing how fast the temperature dropped! Then tonight we went to the American church service that a lot of the missionaries working or staying in Conekry attend, and then PBT had a welcome potluck for us, and I met more colleagues. There are two other girls about my age here, one doing a two month accounting internship and one teaching missionary kids for two years.
And that is it for now, thanks for the prayers, keep them up! Tomorrow our orientation begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment