Thursday, November 8, 2012

Halloween (posted late, but I actually did write it on Halloween)


Happy Halloween! On this day a year ago, I was boarding a plane for France. Today I have since been ten months in France, a month and half in the US, and half a month in Guinea. What a year!  I got to experience so many new and exciting things, and meet so many wonderful people.  In that time I said some tearful goodbyes, learned a good deal of French and formed relationships in France, came home and reconnected with family and friends, said more tearful goodbyes, and now am in the beginning stages of culture learning here in West Africa. 
But of all the cool and glamorous things I got to do this year, I can honestly say my relationships with the people around me are what make my memories so sweet.  Yes the French scenery is amazing; yes, the buildings are old and beautiful; and yes the people here  wear wonderfully colorful clothes- but all the things like that aren’t enough to make me say “that was worth leaving my friends and family and home.” The only thing that makes me say that is getting to share God’s love with the people around me through investing in relationships with them. 

1 comment:

  1. Love the way you wrapped up this post, Shelly!

    ReplyDelete