Sunday, February 17, 2013

On Water

I can honestly say I have never thought about water as much as I have in the last few weeks. How much it will take to wash and rinse the dishes, bathe, do laundry, flush the toilet, drink. We get our water from a pump about four minutes away on foot. Well, four minutes empty-handed. Confession: when Brittany told me when she started hauling water it was hard and kids laughed at her and she didn’t like it I thought “well that won’t be a problem for me.” Ha. I am terrible at balancing the bucket on my head, and my arms start aching about halfway home. I am a water-carrying wimp. Aaannnnnnndd the people laughing gets my goat (of which there are many here, by the way). I want to snarl at the kids “I am hauling this water for your sake, to have a contextualized ministry, stop laughing!” But, I don’t. Partly because I don’t speak their language yet, but mostly because I kind of doubt Jesus ever snarled at children. Just a hunch I have.
But, I will get better, with practice and time. And, bonus, what with carrying water I may not be breaking out the P90x videos as often as planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment